Below is a list of my reported decisions:
- Turton v The Estate of Nancy Grasso et al, 2016 ONSC 3557 and 2016 ONSC 5574 – Successfully struck five subrogated fire loss claims due to the expiry of the limitation period.
- Stuart v University of Western Ontario, 2016 ONSC 4608 – Successfully struck claims in breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty in an educational malpractice claim.
- 224981 Ontario Inc v Intact Insurance and Zurich Insurance, 2016 ONSC 642 – Successfully moved for business interruption coverage due to a fire loss for a policyholder.
- Francis v AIG Insurance Company of Canada, 2016 ONSC 2064 – Successfully moved for summary judgment on the issue of Guaranteed Rebuilding Cost coverage for a policyholder.
- Amrane v York University, 2016 ONSC 3071 – Successfully moved for leave to appeal a dismissal of York’s motion to strike the plaintiff’s educational malpractice claim.
- Tran v University of Western Ontario, 2016 ONSC 1781 – Successfully moved to strike a conspiracy claim on limitation period and all claims of personal liability against the individually named Professors.
- Smith v. State Farm Fire and Casualty Co. (2016, Ontario S.C.J., oral reasons) – Acted for insurer on a duty to defend motion. The court held that the concurrent cause language in a homeowners policy’s auto exclusion barred coverage for a negligent supervision claim.
- King v Ryerson University, 2015 ONCA 648 – Successfully defended an appeal of a motion to strike the plaintiff’s statement of claim.
- King West Fitness v Reebok International, 2015 ONSC 5330 – Successfully defended a summary judgment motion on the issue of a commercial indemnity clause.
- Lam v University of Western Ontario Board of Governors, 2015 ONSC 5282 – Successfully moved to strike the plaintiff’s statement of claim on the basis that the pleading had no reasonable cause of action.
- Tran v University of Western Ontario, 2014 ONSC 617 – Successfully struck the plaintiff’s claim against the individual defendant professors and the tort of intimidation.
- Andersen v St Jude Medical, 2012 ONSC 3660 – Member of the defence counsel trial team that successfully defended the first common issues product liability class action trial in Canada.
- Andersen v St Jude Medical, 2010 ONSC 5768, 2010 ONSC 6626, 2011 ONSC 2178 – Member of the defence counsel trial team that successfully defended trial motions on the admissibility of expert evidence.